Thursday, June 4, 2009

# 47 July 25th- Saturday

Drove to Jinja
In the morning we gathered up our things for a last breakfast at Katarina’s. She made us tasty egg roll ups. It was a nice end to our stay. I ran down to the market to take care of a few last minute things and when I got back Geoffrey and Denis were waiting. We had a long time to wait because the driver for our coaster went MIA. If nothing else, I’ve learned to be more patient here. Finally we found the driver and we took off. Big John had purchased a Ugandan flag and he got on bodas with Patrick, Geoffrey, Dennis, and Odong Collins. They carried the flag between them and drove up for a grand send off. It was pretty cool. I love how Big John thinks. He has a strong connection to so many people here and his impact goes so must further than he can imagine. He decided to stay on for a couple weeks after as did Annie. She is going to climb Kilimanjaro. The ride to Jinja was especially long because the government decided to put 178…YES 178 speed bumps on the highway because they had not yet sealed the highway and they wanted to slow people down. It works to slow people down.
We stopped in Kampala at the craft market. I didn’t have many shillings to spend by this time, but I wanted to get Lisa a certain kind on bracelet. I was on a mission. Mission successful! Justine and I noticed a matching necklace and she helped me buy it. It was really generous of her.
Jinja is a beautiful place. You can see a real contrast between the north and south. There are many more trees in the south. It is much more developed. The roads are paved and there are many more cars. When we arrived at the Adrift hostel in Jinja we were all blown away by the beauty of it. It sits right on the source of the Nile. The tent we stayed at was right next to the cliff overlooking the Nile. We could hear the water rushing by through the night. Adrift does rafting, jet boating, and bungee jumping adventures. When we arrived they had a rugby game on the screen between the All Blacks of New Zealand and the Springboks of South Africa. The Springboks won. The owners of Adrift are from NZ so we were all a little disappointed. We had an incredible meal. I took way too much and I felt bad about it. As I was eating I kept hoping that no one was left out because I took too much. We hung out in the bar and some of us had some fun lifting ourselves into the upside down kayak on the ceiling. I talked to Lisa, Julia, and Jenai and make it an early night. I rested really well.