Thursday, June 4, 2009

#29 July 7th- Tuesday

-Team Teaching
Coming to school with a rugby ball is a great way to make people smile. There were even some mothers with children on their backs who wanted to toss it back and forth. It’s common to see women with children wrapped up in a blanket, hanging on their backs (piggy back). It’s also common to see very young girls with babies on their backs as well.
Before going to school, I checked my school email. I was happy to hear from some of my students that they had received passing scores on the AP World Exam. I’m looking forward to knowing how we did this year.
When I arrived at the school, David was their doing some grading. He said that malaria has been bothering him. That is not uncommon. The mosquitoes aren’t too bad where we are staying, but in the more rural parts of Gulu, it is a real problem. Although, one of my team got a bite on a place you wouldn’t typically spray with bug repellent. We all had a good laugh with her when she came out of the toilet.
David and I graded papers and then prepared for class. Geography in Uganda is focused on the physical features of regions. At times is feels more like a Geology class. Today we discussed the formation of the Rift Valley and the two theories that are most accepted. I feel that David is making strides as a teacher. We are working to improve lessons from the typical “Chalk and Talk” to more student centered learning. I’ve been thinking a lot about my classes back home. One of the greatest compliments a teacher can receive here is to say they are innovative. In a place where you must do a lot with little; innovation is the X-factor.
I have two teachers who want to work with me to teach the students rugby skills. We will have our first practice on Monday at 9:00. I’m hoping to teach enough of the game and skills that they will be able to play a game before I leave. I’ve got about 2 ½ weeks to pull it off. I’m so excited that there are teachers (Nyeko and Simon) who want to see this happen. If it is going to be a sustainable activity, their support and ownership is so essential.
I like teaching. It really doesn’t matter where. However, some teaching environments create interesting challenges. Our last class yesterday was held right next to the latrine. I have an overactive gag reflex at time and I’ve been learning to breathe through my mouth much more. The other challenge was the beautiful, but loud music coming from the class next door. I’m learning just to go with it, but it’s funny to me that we have this cacophony of sights, smells, and sounds; and yet students are expected to retain the content we are delivering.
On the way home Geoffrey joined me. I love this kid. He showed me a photo he had taken with the camera. It looked good. As we were walking a very old woman was knocked over by a man on a bicycle. He just stood their looking at her. We walked over to see if she was ok. We gave her a hand up. She seemed stunned and angry by what happened, but not badly injured. She was able to walk away so we continued. Three boys joined us on the way home. On the way Geoffrey told me he wanted to know more about God. “Me too!” I said and he smiled. I invited him to come to the Watoto Bible study with me this week. Back at the hotel it was a typical evening of relaxing, writing, reading, and hanging out. The group wanted to watch the Michael Jackson funeral on the TV. I decided to call it an early night.