Thursday, June 4, 2009

# 37 July 15th- Wednesday

Team Teaching
I met with Simon and Nyeko this morning for rugby. In Africa, nothing seems to happen exactly as you plan it. If you say meet at 9:00, be prepared to meet at 10:00. In some ways this is really cool because it allows for spontaneity. While we walked over to the pitch we called out for a few boys to join us. Polycarp, Innocent, Caesar, Steven, Thomas, Moses, Mike, and Bob joined us. They picked up the skills very quickly. I handed the practice over to the Simon and Nyeko after setting things up and they ran the practice well. It was so good to see the kids take to the game so quickly. I think we might be able to have a game going before I leave.
I think I’ve reached the point where I’m ready to go home. I mentioned it to Catherine this morning. She encouraged me to pray that God will renew my strength and vision for being here. Who knows, my reason for being here may still be yet to come. I’m about ¼ of the way through my Bible through the summer quest. It’s been good for me. I’m learning and enjoying that journey immensely.
At school, David and I taught a few lessons. I really like the students and I would like to spend more time with them. David has been flaking out on some of his responsibilities and it has created some tension in the class. It’s a good reminder to me to follow through on the things I say I’m going to do.
I’ve invited the students to come out Thursday after school to write a letter to a student on California. I hope it is well attended. I have 70 letters from my Advanced Geography students and I’m hoping to have these students reply to each of them.
Tonight was the night of Bible study. Our discussion tonight centered on the topic of HIV-AIDS. The host of the group, Dennis, is very involved in helping people get tested and then cope and find hope in the situation. Uganda is a country that tries to be very open about this issue with people. In many countries in Africa, AIDS is a label that carries a huge stigma. In Uganda this is still a problem, but it is more open than most. Dennis has a huge heart for those who are struggling with this disease. He is passionate about helping them integrate into their community and to inform them that with ARVs they may have a long life before them. We were asked if we have been personally affected by this disease. Everyone had a story to tell about someone they know who had been infected. It was really tragic. As a group, we decided to go and visit a family who had been impacted after church on Sunday and bring them food and encouragement. I’m excited to go and be a part of this. Geoffrey didn’t show up tonight for Bible study. I’d love for him to come because the guys there could be such good mentors for him. I have one more week to get him there and I won’t fail.
I’ve been feeling a bit sick, so I hope I can kick the cold out soon. People in the group are doing well. I keep getting reports that Lisa and the girls are well. Jenai learned how to swim and Julia is having a great summer. I’m so thankful that Rudy and Terri opened up their home this summer. It’s such a blessing to me to know that they are having a good time together while I’m gone.