Thursday, June 4, 2009

# 39 July 17th- Friday

-Team Teaching
Today was a rugby day!!!! I had a light breakfast and made my way to the school. At 9 we had a very small group gather to teach skills, but by 9:30 our numbers had grown. Many students are interested in playing. In fact, by the end we put together a small game of touch rugby with the kids and they had a blast. The whole school came out to watch. It was so inspiring to see Simon teach the drills to the new kids that came out. I made a big effort to step out and let them take the lead. They are doing it. At the end Nyeko and Simon pulled the kids together and invited them to practice Monday. They explained that they are the coaches and that I am only here to teach some skills and that I will leave the ball behind. I can’t fully explain how good it is to hear that. In the past, I think I would have felt excluded somehow, but I’m in a different state of mind. I feel like I have given them a hook and they are putting it to good use quickly. To see the kids take to the game was such an exhilarating feeling. I was able to play with them until I got a good sweat going. The kids even asked to keep the ball after the coaches left so they could continue. Look out world; here comes GULU RUGBY!!!!!

After rugby the day dragged on a bit, but TGIF. Matt and I decided to make guacamole and chips for our picnic at Fort Patiko. We invited all of our teachers to come out and spend a day with us. We used chipati to make the chips, but it took a long time to bake them. Some of the couples went out for a date night, so I was with Hero and some of the girls from group 2 watching Dreamgirls between baking intervals. What a night.