Thursday, June 4, 2009

#32 July 10th- Friday

-Team Teaching
It was nice to have a day to do something that was out of the ordinary. In the morning I went around town doing errands. I’ve wanted to get Lisa and the girls some skirts in traditional African prints. I found a fabric that I liked and then found a tailor who offered a good price. I hope the girls like them. Our tailor’s name was Scovia. We had fun trying to figure out sizes based on my girl’s height. I think we nailed it.
Later in the day, we went out to see the Mend operation. It was incredible. The building was donated by the Japanese government. The shop is staffed by women who are single mothers. Each woman can create high quality garments from start to finish. They do very good work. Marie is the coordinator of the project and I can see from her energy and enthusiasm why it is such a success. I was so happy to see a project that helps women who really need the help. The staff is so happy to be there and they are well taken care of.