Thursday, June 4, 2009

#16 June 24th- Wednesday

Observation at schools


I spent a long time at the Internet Café today. In the morning I finished the book of Leviticus. I’ve never enjoyed reading the book so much as I have this time. There is a constant refrain of social justice for the poor and for the immigrant. It’s so good to be able to chat with friends back home.
The life of teachers at Gulu SS has been affected by the school elections. The students are contesting for various leadership positions in the school. Matt and his partner teacher Akali have been working hard to make it a success. David and I planned the lesson for the day, but all of the classes were cancelled so that student could give open air speeches. There were about 40 speeches, but the PA system did not arrive until the last five. It was painfully boring. I’ve learned that boredom is a huge part of teacher’s lives here. We could not hear any of the speeches, but we were expected to attend. The kids here love rap and the boys love to sag their pants. It is as ridiculous here as it is at home.
In the evening I met up with Patrick to attend his Watoto cell group. We met with Dennis (his home), Mike, Abraham, and Evalin. We had a great time discussing I Corinthians chapter 12. We talked about unity in the body of Christ and how God wants us to use our gifts without discrimination or jealousy. I feel so at home with these new friends. We had a wonderful time sharing stories.