Thursday, June 4, 2009

#15 June 23rd- Tuesday

Observation at schools

Posho and Beans…..
Today began with another good run. I’ve been joined by Jananen again. However, today he tried to run in sandals, so we didn’t go as far, but we had a good talk. I’ve really enjoyed having an open morning to shower, read, and catch up with emails. I don’t need to be at the school until 11:30.
Classes went very well today. David introduced me to the class in this way. He said, “Students, today you will notice that you have two teachers, a black one and a white one, but we both bleed the same red blood.” It feels good to hear that he sees us on the same level. I don’t want to come into his class with an attitude that I am the expert and he is the novice. We have decided to share the responsibilities of teaching. He may give the introduction and then I will follow with the presentation of information. He will then engage the students in a KWL application, and I will give the conclusion. Then we will alternate for the next class. We are teaching about the geography of East Africa. I have been asking the students why they think it is important to study about East Africa. Most of them give the answer that they must know the material for the exams. If they do not pass the mid-term and final, they may not advance to the next level. I mentioned that one reason to study this topic is the in the future Gulu and East Africa may be world leading countries. They were intrigued by this. I mentioned that they are the future of this country and that many people in the world are excited to see how they will shape the future. In Uganda the students do not leave the classroom. The teacher will move from class to class. It makes sense because in would be difficult to move 70 students 10 times each day. At lunch we eat posho and beans. Posho is like unsalted playdough. We eat with our fingers. Most of the teachers are not fond of the food, but it is filling. Some of the teachers sat under the mango tree with me to discuss politics and life in the US.
After school, I was met by a student named Goffrey. I had met him before playing basketball. He has walked with me for the past two days. He loves to share riddles. For example; what comes twice a week, but only once a year. I was able to share a few with him. What is black and white and read all over? I got him on that one. Today he shared that he is living alone. His father died in a car accident and his mother was killed by the LRA. He is a bright student who hopes to become a doctor like his father was. He asked me if I was a Christian. I said yes. He asked if I could answer some questions for him. He seems to be a deep thinker even at 15. He asked me how I know the Bible is true. I gave three reasons. 1. Despite being written on three separate continents by many authors; it has continuity and tells a complete story. This story and the truths revealed in it resonate in my heart as true. No one needs to tell me that injustice is wrong. I see it and know it in my heart. 2. There is evidence to show that the historical claims of the Bible are true. 3. I have personally experienced the power of the Bible in my life. The truth of the Bible has given me a future and a hope.

Next question:
What is repentance?
Changing the way you think and act. When you act and think in a way that is inconsistent with God’s way, you can change.

Next question:
Do you think there will ever be peace in the world?
Yes, I believe that someday, there will be peace in the whole world, but now we only have a taste of how it could be when we live the way God intended us to live with each other.

My question:
Do you attend the Bible club?
No.
Why not?
They only talk and do not allow answers from students even when they are wrong.
What are they wrong about?
One day, they said that black people killed Jesus and I know that is not true.
How do you know that is not true?
I know
Do you have a Bible?
I do not have but I know
You are correct. Europeans killed Jesus, and Jews (Asians) killed Jesus, but really…..God killed Jesus so that we can know God will understand our suffering and that he can overcome it.
Why is black bad in the Bible and white good?
There is a contrast between darkness and light, but that is not the same as black and white and it does not mean race. One of the first Christians was a black Ethiopian official. One of the first church leaders was black. God makes no distinction based on color.

What a crazy conversation. I really want to see Goffrey achieve his dreams. There is a future and a hope for this boy.