Thursday, June 4, 2009

#13 June 21st- Sunday




If I had to choose a way to spend a Father’s Day away from my family, today would have been it. I just returned from St. Jude’s orphanage where I spent a couple hours loving and being loved by some very special kids. The day is not over, but I’m short on time and we are leaving for a family farm to hang out and meet a family who have survived conflict and are now thriving. We took a mutatu to the orphanage around 2pm. It was a bumpy ride to the outskirts of town. When we arrived the kids just mobbed us. I met the director Filda and gave her pictures of some of the children that Scott and Ning had given me to deliver. She was so thrilled and she pointed out each of the children that were in the pictures. The kids wanted to dance with us and for us, to play football (soccer), and to be held, but most of all, they wanted to take pictures with our cameras. I met a boy named Kenneth. I asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up. I will be the president, just like Obama. He certainly has the charisma for it. He took me by the hand and led me around the compound and we talked. I’m looking forward to sharing the video he took. I also held the most adorable baby I’ve ever seen. Really, she was perfectly beautiful. I’ll track down a picture to share. The last child I spent time with was Maria. She is 7 years old and she held me tight like my girls do. Today she needed a daddy and I needed a daughter. It made me so thankful for my girls and made be want to see them even more. This experience filled my tank. The whole day has been like that.

To take it from the start; I got up early for a run. On the way we met a boy named Jonanon. He is 18 and a very nice kid. We ran up near his home and he showed us where he has been living. Both his parents have died and his grandmother has asked him to leave so that she can rent the space. We jogged over to his new place where he is staying with his friend Francis. It was cool to go inside a home. It was a great run!
I showered up and a group of us went down to church. Some of our group attended mass at Gulu High School. They loved it and felt very welcomed. We went to KPC Watoto church. It is very much like Bayside or Bridgeway, but everyone…everyone really sings. Imagine a church where the whole church is the choir. I was encouraged by the message about unity in Christ and the need to carry his name well. After church I met Patrick who runs the Schools for Schools program in Gulu. He invited me to his small group this Wednesday. Having a spiritual connection with people here has brought me the most joy on this trip. I’ve been reading through a book called Jesus wants to save Christians. I have been thinking about where I really stand when it comes to representing God’s spirit here on Earth.
After church we came back to Katarina’s and discussed Pedagogy of the Oppressed. We were given quotes and we were asked to analyze them and create a frozen picture with our team that would explain the quote in an abstract way. It was a rich discussion about how education can often fail to empower students to see the big picture and think of ways to meet their own needs. The book is a pretty tough read, but it is so important to think about the systems we have set up and to ask critical questions about those systems.
In the evening after St. Jude’s we were hosted by Tom and Rose O’lalobo and their sons Obe and Apolo. Their sons grew up in the UK because the family had to flee under Amin’s reign of terror. The home they have created is gorgeous. I think this family will have a major part in shaping the future of Gulu. Lisa called and the girls completed a wonderful day with a very loud HAPPY FATHER’S DAY over the phone. Tomorrow, well actually today, is my first day teaching. I’ll write more later.
Here is an easier schedule to follow:
Monday: 11:00-6:40
Tuesday: 11:00-5:20
Wednesday: 11:00-3:50
Thursday: 9:00-6:40
Friday: 11:00-4:40 Rugby at 5:00!