Thursday, June 4, 2009

# 44 July 22rd-Wednesday


-Team Teaching
I’m actually writing this around 4:30 am. The rain woke be up and so I thought I’d catch up on my blog and try to capture what a day I had yesterday (Wednesday 7/23).
When I woke up I decided to create a “day in the life” video from the moment I got up forward. I filmed the hotel compound and the place where we eat in the mornings. I’m so glad I brought my camera with me. Around 8am, Lindsey and I walked down to Café Larem. I video taped our walk in the most inconspicuous way I could. I hope it turns out well. I was able to chat with Lisa, Bryn, and Elena while I was there. It was such a boost of encouragement for me. They pulled together a meeting to discuss Schools for Schools for next year and they said it went really well. Bryn is heading off for houseboats on Saturday and Elena is moving up to Seattle shortly after I get back. Time went quickly and soon I had to leave for rugby practice.
When I arrived at the school the kids were eager to get things going. Simon grabbed the ball and we met outside of the campus, because testing was going on. We had our largest group of students so far. One of the kids, Bob, really took the lead when it came to the drills. I would explain and if a kid got it wrong he would break it down in Luo until the other kid understood and got it right. There is so much potential in this group. I wonder if any of them will ever be able to take their rugby skills with them beyond Gulu or even Uganda. It was a great practice.
Back in the school I met David in the staff room and we marked some papers together. I noticed on the board that there was an announcement for a meeting to appreciate the Teacher Exchange teachers. I had no idea what they had in store for us.
Wednesday is the day when most teachers make it a point to attend. It is that day when meat is served for lunch instead of the standard posho and beans. The lunch usually takes place about 1pm. Today we didn’t eat until after 2pm and I noticed some restlessness in the staff room. Before our program began, the Gideon pastors came to pass out Bibles to the entire staff. David asked me for my copy which I was glad to give him since I already have my own. Annie and William have been working hard on a t-shirt to help raise funds for the art department at Gulu SS and to commemorate the trip. They look awesome!!!!!
After the Bibles were passed out, our program began. There were two tables set up before us with sodas, gifts, and a cake. They were decorated with bows and looked very nice. Matt, Annie, Michael, and I were asked to sit at the head of the table facing the staff. Some administrators also joined us. Our teachers sat out with the staff. Our friend Yeko George was the Master of Ceremonies. He kicked of the program which lasted about 3 ½ hours long. Someone was called to pray and we washed up to eat. I video taped most of the program which included:
A speech from every teacher and administrator
A poem from Annie’s teacher, William
Two beautiful student songs
Three incredibly loud and energetic dances by students
Sharing some cake
Receiving gifts from our teachers (hand made shirts)

It was such an amazing display of Acholi hospitality. I felt so honored to be there and to have received such a send off with my friends. We didn’t leave until about 4:30, but for me the best was yet to come.

After leaving the school, I walked over to Larem and Geoffrey met me on the way. We were planning to meet Katie (a Biola grad and a teacher in group one) and another Gulu SS teacher, Ronette. Katie showed up, but Ronette never came. I was so glad to be able to introduce Geoffrey to the group. He was telling me that he’s sad that I’m going to go. As a 15 year old without parents, I want so badly for him to have some solid adults in his life. My Watoto Bible Study group is comprised of some of the most rock solid people I know in the world. Having him there was an answer to my prayers.
When we came up to Dennis’s home, Abraham Patrick met us and told us that the plans had been changes and we were going to meet at the Boma Hotel. We went to meet Dennis who was just arriving from work. He said that he has come down with Typhoid. He looked really tired, but the man is always full of joy. He took us out to the bodas and we traveled up to the hotel. He had a package in his hands.
When we arrived, Abraham Patrick was setting up tables and people started to arrive for cell. There was Mike (Praise Jesus), Helen (of Troy), Patrick and Mary, Abraham Patrick, Dennis (our host and the man with a huge heart for those with HIV), the other Dennis who has been a pastor, Miram (an illustrator from England), Katie, Geoffrey, and me.
Every time we meet the fellowship we have is so rich. Mike told the story about meeting Pasca on Sunday. He also shared about an experience he had last week. He had been having a pain in the side of his head that was preventing him from waking early for prayer and for a program he listens to on the radio. He was out of sorts. So Sunday, he woke up and put in his ear piece for his phone radio. Right when he put it in, the preacher on the radio said, and you will the pain in your head, you are healed. He fell to his knees and said Praise Jesus and his pain was gone. It hasn’t returned. Others also shared stories about what God had done in there lives.
Our icebreaker was a question. If you had a green card to come to the United States, would you use it? Every person with the exception of Dennis said they would prefer to remain in Uganda. God is using each of these people in such powerful ways here. I would love it if Dennis came to the US, but he is doing such amazing things right here. They didn’t ask, but if the shoe was on the other foot, I’d be more than willing to return and live here, but I wouldn’t want to work for an NGO. I want to do something that is sustainable, like teaching in an international school. I mentioned that I could take up a job as a boda driver. Our discussion on the benefits and promises of the new covenant was rich and full of such amazing insight. This is a group that God can use. There is so much talent, humility, and a willingness to be challenged to go farther and deeper in putting faith to practice.
Sometimes we begin prayers with a song. We mentioned the song “He knows my name.” Mike had the song on his cell phone so he played it and we sang along.
It goes: I have a maker, he formed my heart. Before even time began, my life was in his hand. He knows my name. He knows my every thought. He sees each tear that falls and he hears me when I call. I have a father, he calls me his own. He’ll never leave me. No matter where I go. He knows my name. He knows my every thought. He sees each tear that falls and he hears me when I call.
Standing there holding hands and praying, I felt a touch of heaven. Thank you!!!

After the prayers we took tea. I had purchased some pineapples (nasi-nasi) in the market as well and we all enjoyed sitting together with some food as the sun went down. Then Mike shared a blessing for me. He was saying that God had used me to encourage him spiritually. I replied that whatever I had given, I’ve received 10 times over. I wanted to share with the group that each one of them has been like a family to me and that I think our times together really sustained my while I’ve been away. Patrick told me that in Ugandan culture, no one is supposed to speak after the guest of honor had spoken and that others had more to say. I’m so glad we didn’t sit there in awkward silence. Each person had an encouraging word to say that I’ve treasured in my hard. Helen prayed a prayer of blessing from the book of Numbers for me and Dennis read a part of Psalm 115.

The group then gave me two gifts. The first was a painting of three women carrying water jugs with the sun about and framed with 2 palm trees. The woman in front reminds me of Paska. Someday she will see and she will walk in freedom leading others. Each member of the group wrote a small note on the painting. The other gift was art made of pressed banana leaves. It’s a depiction of life in an Acholi village. One thing I’m so thankful of, and Mike reminded me of, is that there are really no goodbyes between believers. Only, “See you later.” I am so thankful to be confident in that reality. We snapped a photo and I walked home.

When I first learned about IC and Gulu, Uganda, I never could have imagined what it would be like to really know these people as dear friends and family. This has been a defining time in my life. I’ve had some ups and downs along the way, but all in all, I wouldn’t change a thing. Even though Lisa and I have been apart for so long, I’m more eager to see her than I could ever imagine. This trip has only confirmed to me how much I need her and how thankful I am that I get to share my life with her. In fact, there have been friendships she has been able to rekindle while I’ve been gone that might have been neglected had I stayed this summer.

The rain has subsided. I’m ready for the day!