Thursday, June 4, 2009

# 21 June 29th- Monday


-Team Teaching
-Debrief

I’m still waiting to find out if I’ve given Geoffrey (got the spelling right now), a fish or a hook. He told me that he was able to make some money taking pictures at the school celebration this weekend. He was at school today, so that means that somehow his school fees were paid. He told me that he sold the pictures for 1500 US (Ugandan Shillings) and that means he made 500 US per picture. I haven’t really seen any evidence that this is true, but I’m hoping for the best. I really like this kid and I would love to see him reach his potential.
Today was very relaxing. The testing has begun at Gulu SS. I didn’t need to come until noon, so I caught up with some messages I’ve been meaning to write. David and I proctored two tests. The teachers leave the classrooms while kids are testing. There is plenty of room for cheating and I’m sure it goes on, but the teachers don’t seem inclined to stop it. I had a nice time talking with teachers under the mango tree. They wanted to know what crops I would grow if I lived here. I think I would grow strawberries. The people here love sweet things and I think the climate would be perfect. I met a great teacher names Ngeko Walter. His name means enmity. He likes my Acholi name. We joked that some marriages are just that, a combination of love and enmity.
Under the mango tree we gather with teachers to kill time and talk. I shared my story about the girl at the bar and an older teacher called me a coward for not pursuing the girl. It got very quite for a minute and I replied that I am a man of integrity and when I make a promise, I keep it. Then everyone started to speak up saying things like, "that woman would have led you like a lamb to the slaughter." Even the teacher who called me a coward said, "you have answered well." The men here are very curious to know if I cheat on my wife. It's not uncommon to have a second wife or to be unfaithful. However, I feel that my commitment to Lisa is respected and not mocked...to much. They still think I should add an Acholi wife, but I've explained that I don't need another...I just want to get back and have my own.
Tomorrow I’m going to have a long day grading. We have almost 500 tests to grade. Tonight we had smoked fish, smoked meat, and smoked chicken smothered in fish-chicken-beef sauce. I ate rice. Unfortunately there were small rocks in my rice. Food has lost its appeal for me. Right now, I’m dodging flying ants as I type this. It may be time for bed. I’d rather rest than rant. (I just knocked a flying ant out of the air as it was heading into my face....skills!) Good night all.