Thursday, June 4, 2009

#17 June 25th- Thursday

Observation at schools

I slept in and didn’t run. When I got up, my friends told me that a guy named Justin was looking for me. The other day he had approached me for a bit of money to feed his sister, who he said was in the hospital. I gave him 500 US, but told him to keep it quiet. This time he came with a letter. I asked him to tell me what was on his mind. He said his sister had died. I expressed my condolences and waited. He asked for help burying his sister. I told him that I would be willing to help him dig, but I would not give any money. I am almost positive he was lying. So I told him that he should rely on his community. It is not right to come and beg and that he is not welcome to come again for that purpose. I feel harsh, but a hand out is not what he needs, even if his sister had died.
We met early at the school and we also stayed late. Our group met to discuss the research and we stepped outside to ask a few questions of the students. One of the students ran for the post of dining prefect because his meal card was stolen and he wants to find a solution to that issue. They asked me if I have come to give them the solutions to their problems. I pointed back to them to say that any solution that doesn’t come from them will not succeed. One student asked if he could also participate in our research to provide a student’s perspective.
All day long we waited for classes; until we were asked to hand deliver a letter to a community member. It was a very long walk to his house on a very dusty road. There has not been rain since we first came and the land really needs the rain. David and I are really getting to know each other well. We are quickly becoming more comfortable with each other. In the staff room, we have been discussing the topic of polygamy. It is still a common practice here. The other teachers asked if I am faithful to my wife. I am glad to say yes, but they all seem surprised by that response.
So, in class I suffered from a miscommunication that left the kids falling out of there seats laughing. We are teaching about the physical features of East Africa. We are helping the students remember the names of the lakes with mnemonic devices. We’ve come up with LERCH for the regions (Lake, Eastern Plateau, Rift Valley, Coastal Plains, and Highlands) So, as I was introducing the lakes in the Eastern rift valley I said the name of the lake Manyara. This is where the problem occurred. If the access is not spoken correctly the word sounds like “vagina” in Acholi. David walked up to me and explained to mistake and we all had a good laugh. The teachers thought it was pretty funny.
Towards the end of the day, class sizes start to go down. We had a class with only 18 and David was thinking we might call it off, but 16 of the 18 were girls. I really liked this class. David and I are starting to hit a groove in teaching. He is open to ideas and he is even projecting his voice in class. Like most teachers from the US I am considered loud in the classroom, but their voices are really at such a whisper that it is a miracle kids hear anything. We are starting to strike a balance.
So the highlight of my day was the conversation I had with Goffrey. He wanted to give me an Acholi name. He decided on the name Omara. It sounds like a good Irish name, but it means, someone who loves others. I hope I can live up to this name.
Blessings of Peace and Hope,
Omara Jon