Thursday, June 4, 2009

#26 July 4th and 5th - Saturday and Sunday

-Breakfast at IC
-Conference
-4th of July Teacher Picnic and Party
The second part of the teaching conference was centered on student empowerment. As teachers, we observed portions of 4 student workshops.
1. Teaching drama and physicalization of emotions
2. Coaching basketball skills to young women
3. Teaching art as a means of expressing connection to a particular place
4. Hip-Hop dance skills
5. Hip-Hop rap to express thoughts in Luo (the Acholi language) and English

I love to watch people teach well, especially when it is peer to peer teaching. The rap group was so good about modeling the skills and encouraging kids to succeed. When our Gulu SS team came together we agreed that we will incorporate illustrating skills and poetic verse into lessons this week. Overall the conference was encouraging for our teachers. I hope I don’t have malaria, I’ve been pretty tired. I came back to the hotel to rest.
I went over to the IC house later to say goodbye to Bryn and Elena. They had to leave early Sunday morning. They were planning an evening party at the IC house. I’m happy for them that home isn’t far away. They have a very fun trip planned for the next 5 days. We left with a big hug and encouraging words. They are already thinking of ways to encourage and inspire the kids back home. Who knows, maybe another of our students will be able to return next year.
In the evening IC planned a big 4th of July celebration for our teachers and the IC staff at the Acholi Inn. It was a fun time of feasting, dancing, and jumping in the pool. I had a great time learning the Acholi dances. The people here are a lot of fun. I came home around mid-night but most of our group went out for a couple more parties. It was a pretty crazy night, but everyone made it home safely.
In the morning I went to the Watoto church. I love this place!!! It’s the event I look most forward to each week. This morning I sat next to a woman (Lucy) with two children, an infant and a little girl who looked to be about 5 (Irene). Irine crawled up into my lap and fell asleep on my chest during the service. It’s like God knew just how much I’m missing my girls and chose to give me a cool reminder of what I’m missing. After the service, Bryan from Bavu Buka came over to greet me. He came a bit late and missed the singing so he asked if we could stay for that part of the next service. That wasn’t a tough sell. I love the singing here. One of the songs was in Lugandan so he felt right at home with it. In fact, he recognized one of the band members as the son of his late pastor. Bryan and I parted company and agreed to meet up for lunch.
I started reading a book called The Shack. It’s pretty intense at the beginning, especially considering the main character’s connection to his family. I haven’t finished the book and in my mind the jury is still out on whether or not I like it. It certainly is thought provoking. After a meeting at the IC house with all three groups I went out to lunch with Bryan and Jared (the hip hope dance teacher). He (Bryan) has a dream of opening a studio / half-way house in Kampala. We ate some goat meat and said our goodbyes. I hope that we are able to keep in touch.
I need to work on preparing lessons for Advanced Geo and AP World for next year so that I’m not overly stressed when I return. Otherwise, life is good. I’m at the point where the novelty of being here has worn off and I’m starting the really feel the challenge of living away from Lisa and the girls for so long.