Thursday, June 4, 2009

# 40 July 18th and July 19th

-BBQ at Fort Patiko
This was the best weekend I’ve spent in Uganda. We didn’t see any wild animals but we climbed a mountain and that was even more exhilarating. Amy and Catherine scheduled a trip to see the Fort Patiko and to hang out. In the mid 1800s, Arab slave traders came to this region and used Fort Patiko as a trading depot. We walked around the site and saw the gashes in the rocks from axes. These were used to kill Acholi people who were not seen as desirable for slaves. It brought a brutal image into my mind. Sir Samuel Baker was an explorer and a missionary who chased out the Arab slavers and converted the area into a fort. One of the slaves he freed was a white woman named Florence. Her name with the Acholi means “Daughter of the moon”. She later became Baker’s wife. The best part about this trip for me was the trek up the mountainside. On the way up I was having a great talk with Justine and then Big John jumped out of a bush and we both jumped backwards at the same time. Big John could pass for a lion. We all had a good laugh.
I want to show some pictures of the small mountain we climbed, but if you can imagine a very steep rock surface, about the length of 3 football fields. When you climb up, you almost crawl, but when you get to the top you can see for miles and miles. The area surrounding the small mountain is filled with small farms. You can see the maize fields along side the cabbage, beans, and other vegetables. Some local kids came up to the top. I was in the first group to make it to the top. Michael and our Ugandan teachers led the way. As you come to the other side of the mountain, the smooth side is replaced by very large chunks of granite. These huge rocks are also found closer to the Fort Patiko site. Jumping from one rock to the next was such a thrill. The place looks a little like pride rock from the Lion King. We all took great pictures up there and I (a chicken is being killed next door as I write this….it got very noisy and then, silence) look forward to sharing.
The ride back was a typical bone jarring event. I was able to ride in the front, which makes the whole experience so much better, but I have no desire to ever ride the Indiana Jones ride again. When we got back we had a good meal. Michael made the point that everything we do from this point forward is going to be the “last time in Gulu for a while”/ Big John put a poker tournament together, but I had to decline. I’m getting low on shillings and I want to make it through the last week. I went to bed early.

In the morning I got up for my last time at Watoto (KPC) church. Annie was waiting for some friends to go to mass at Gulu High School, but they weren’t ready so she went with me. Church here has been such a blessing to me. I love the songs and the teaching. I’ve met the pastor (Joe Ogwal) a few times in the street on the way to cell. He is a warm guy and a very gifted teacher. Today he talked about the Old and New covenants and we talked about what it is like to enjoy the favor of God. After the service I spoke with him for a few minutes and we traded information. I saw Dennis and Mike from cell and we set off to meet with the family Dennis had arranged for us to visit. Before going we shared a prayer and went to the market to buy some bean, sugar, posho, leave leaves, and bananas for the family. I stayed outside of the market because if I was with them it would have doubled our cost. We jumped on a couple of boda after having a light breakfast at the county bakery. When we arrived in the neighborhood we met with Paska’s caretaker, Martha. She showed up her rabbit hutch and we visited for a few minutes. Most of the conversation was in Luo, so I didn’t catch much.
Martha took us over to Paska’s home. A few years back, Paska tested positive for HIV. She was working for the ministry of education. She has 4 kids of her own and had taken in 4 orphans. When she found out that she had HIV, she was prescribed ARVs that were not the right ones, (Antiretroviral drugs). They caused her to go blind. Her mothers had been assisting her, but recently she has been ill as well. When we walked into their hut, it was a sad sight. Dennis led the conversation in Luo. I think they appreciated the food, but even more so, the encouragement. We prayed for them and listened to their story. I was able to express a few things. First off, I wanted to share that even though we know God loves us, that it is good to hear it from each other. The other thing is that there is hope for their lives. I don’t know what will happen next here, but the cell group is talking seriously about paying for eye surgery to restore her sight. Please pray, if you do that, that God will heal her, whether by a surgery or by some miracle.
When it was time to go, I went over to Paska and gave her a big hug. She held onto me tightly and whispered into my ear that she hasn’t given up hope and that she believes God loves her even in the midst of this difficult circumstance. I’ll never forget that embrace. It chokes me up just thinking about it.
I had an idea. I took her hands and let her feel my hair. It’s pretty spiky. She laughed from her gut. The whole hut thought it was pretty funny. It was like a little light of joy lit the small room. Even her mother thought it was funny. I’m glad I didn’t shave my head, if only for that reason.
Mike, Dennis, and I left feeling so good. It was like we got this chance to speak love on God’s behalf. It was incredible really. They want to bring other members of the cell group back. We are blessed to be a blessing!!!! Praise God. When I walked home I prayed for Paska for about an hour just thinking about her and hoping that God will give her strength to continue on.
The rest of the afternoon was comprised of a book club meeting around the book, Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins. It was an interesting discussion that I won’t get into here, but I would recommend the book.
The evening meal was set for Apollo and Obi’s farm. We had an amazing meal and a great time meeting some new friends and hanging with one’s who have become so close. It was a festive night and after dinner a few of us went over to Pearl Afrique to hang out and dance a little. It was a great end to an incredible weekend. I think it will rain soon. Pray for that, there will be a famine here if rain doesn’t come soon….