Thursday, June 4, 2009

#18 June 26th- Friday

Observation at schools

The day started late for me. I needed to get some rest. We have, as teachers, all become bonded as a team. We’ve had some deep conversations and some fun ones. The teams from Pabo and Antang came back. It’s so good to see them. Lance and Justine, who live in San Francisco, (Lance owns the Blue Light) and Stephanie (Texas) and Tammy (Minnesota) are all teaching at Pabo. It’s pretty remote, so they are finding they are a real novelty to the kids. They shared that there are giant stinging cockroaches in the latrines. Ouch!!! Today, I just couldn’t eat Posho and Beans. My appetite is starting to dwindle.
I’m so glad its Friday!!! The school announced the winners of the contests for prefect ships. There is a ton of excitement in the air.
In Uganda, it is now against the law to cane students. However, they have other options for discipline. One option is manual labor. Today we found a student taking a pickax to a giant termite mound. It took him about an hour to break it down. I took a few swings with him just for fun. We had 3 classes today. I feel like David and I are hitting a cool groove. He has been projecting his voice and he is starting to involve students so much more in the lesson. Today he actually brought students up to the front of class and used them as visual aids. He invited me over to his house next Wednesday. I’m looking forward to the chance to meet his family.
After school we gathered together and played some basketball and rugby. There weren’t too many kids out, but everywhere I go, people want to toss the ball around. The highlight of today was over at the IC house. Bryn and Elena arrived!!! Well, they were delayed by an hour and a half, but when they got there it lifted my spirits so much. Both of them are like family to me. There are 15 girls and 5 boys on there trip. These are all students whose schools won the Schools for Schools competition. In a way, I’m really glad that we are having different experiences in Uganda. I think they are going to love this trip, they have an amazing itinerary. We sat and talked for about 2 hours, on and off with other things going on. Our teaching group will go on the Rhino trek this weekend so I’ll see Bryn and Elena on Sunday when we can set up a phone call with their parents.
I’ve decided not to shave until I get back. Well, I’ve got to shave my neck hair, but aside from that, I’ve got 4 more weeks to grow the nastiest beard of all time. But the day I get back, it’s coming off. Lisa hates it when I don’t shave. It’s too itchy.